Being the wonderful, loving wife that I am, I made corned beef and cabbage for Chris the other night. It’s one meal I know he loves, and it’s actually pretty easy since the slow cooker basically does all of the work. 🙂
I mentioned I was making this dish to my pleeps on Plurk and one friend requested the recipe. Being the obliging pleep that I am, @cfavreau, here is my recipe for corned beef and cabbage:
Web-Betty’s Corned Beef and Cabbage
Before getting started, learn from me: the one thing I always forget is how long it takes in the slow cooker. ((This is the main reason it doesn’t get made as often.)) Be sure you start early enough—this dish takes about 9 hours.
- 3-4 lb corned beef ((I like to rinse the corned beef off when I take it out of the package.))
- 4 carrots, cleaned and cut into pieces ((The size of the carrot pieces is up to you—the larger the carrots, the less squishy they get. I like ’em really squishy so I cut them into about 1″.))
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 6-8 medium-ish potatoes, peeled and quartered ((I use red or yukon gold potatoes, depending on what I have on hand.))
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 head of cabbage, cut in wedges
1. Place all veggies—EXCEPT the cabbage— in the slow cooker. The order doesn’t matter.
2. Pour the water over the veggies.
3. Place the corned beef on top of the veggies. Most corned beef comes with a little package of seasoning. Spread the seasoning over the top of the corned beef.
4. Cover and cook on High for 6 hours.
1. After 6 hours, carefully remove the lid. Take the corned beef out (this is temporary 🙂 ).
2. Add the cabbage wedges and be sure to push them down into the “juice.”
3. Put the corned beef back into the slow cooker.
4. Cover and cook on High for an additional 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Take the corned beef and veggies out of the slow cooker and serve hot. Bon Appétit!
I hope @cfavreau, and anyone else who is interested, enjoys this recipe. Let me know if you make it, and how it turned out!
This post was generously brought to you by healthy cooking, even though I’m not sure exactly how healthy corned beef is. 😛
Tags: cooking, corned beef, corned beef and cabbage, dinner, ideas, mother of the year, recipe, recipe for corned beef and cabbage, slow cooker, wife of the year
My Gran used to make something similar so often. I have printed the recipe out and stuck it into my tattered old recipe book. Will give it a try sometime. Thanks.
My grandma did too and I always loved the way the house smelled all day.
Let me know how it goes. 🙂
ew cabbage! lol my bf would love this…
You’ll have a chance to make it for him soon! (I know, not as soon as you would like, but it’s getting closer!)
Damn that looks nice and sounds even better!
It’s pretty tasty! Let me know if you try it. 🙂
OOOhhh!!! Looks super yummy!!! Thanx for the recipe!! I have NEVER even bought corned beef in my 13 years of wifehood…
Gotta try this one!!
I only started making this a few years ago. It’s my hubby’s favorite now. I hope you enjoy it!
That is still gorgeous!
Ha ha, that’s right, you saw this when I first posted it! 😆
I had to replurk it in honor of St. Pat’s day tomorrow!